For many of us, a family may consist of our parents and siblings, grandparents, aunties and uncles, cousins, and significant others such as our partners or perhaps some of our friends we feel are close enough to be included in our family unit.
Family provides its members with a great source of emotional and mental support; providing an avenue from which they can give and receive much love, care, and concern.
However, as much as a family unit is able to provide a familiar and comfortable space for its members to communicate and interact in, it can also create, stress, tension, and conflict. For instance, family members may face challenges in areas such as (but not limited to):
- Strained marital relations;
- Differences in parenting methods;
- Divorce and management of emotional, mental, and physical states of both adults (and children, where applicable) pre- / during / post- divorce;
- Inter-generational conflicts (which may be related to different views and opinions of dominant culture and/or religion within a family);
- Difficulties arising from blended families;
- Family violence concerns (child / spousal / elder / vulnerable adult / dating);
- Financial, employment, and/or housing concerns;
- Mental health concerns;
- Coping with grief and loss of a loved one;
- Illness and/or disability of a loved one (leading to caregiver stress);
- Alcohol, drug, and/or gambling addictions;
- Sexual orientation issues.
Family is very important in any culture and society as they form the foundations upon which we establish our various values and beliefs both individually and collectively. As such, it is important that when problems start to arise within a family, prompt and appropriate help should be sought as soon as possible.
At The Lion Mind, there are experienced psychologists, counsellors, and psychotherapists that can help you to manage your family problems better using evidence-based therapies such as:
- Family Systems Therapy
- Structural Family Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy
If you feel that your family and yourself may benefit from family counselling, please do not hesitate to contact us to set up an appointment for further consultation.
Each session lasts about 50 to 60 minutes. Each session is chargeable at $180/-
“Family is like music, some high notes, some low notes, but always a beautiful song.”
Please note that the contact form above are not meant to address crisis situations as we may not be able to attend to your enquiry immediately. If you are facing a mental health crisis, please call IMH at (+65) 6389 2222 or (SOS) at (+65) 1800-221 4444. Thank you!