Workshop: Introduction to Art Therapy
Date: 24 March 2019 (Sunday)
Time: 9.30am to 5.30pm
Facilitator: Mrs Vijaya Mohan
Course Fees: SGD$168 nett
Student concession rates available. Please enquire for more details.
DISCLAIMER: This is an introductory workshop on Art Therapy. Attending this course WILL NOT qualify you to work as an art therapist (provide treatment plan using art as an psychotherapeutic tool).
Art revolves around mind and body, heart and soul, think and touch, feel and explore. Art Therapy is a combination of art and psychology. Art therapy is the therapeutic use of art making. Through creating art and reflecting on the art products and processes, people can increase awareness of self and others. Art therapy fosters the use of both sides of the brain. The nonverbal art expression is primarily a right brain process; the writing comes from the left-brain language centres. Art Therapy helps people to resolve conflicts and problems, develop interpersonal skills, manage behaviour, reduce stress, increase self-esteem and self- awareness.
Art Therapy is a human service profession that utilizes art media, images, creative art processes and patient/client responses to the created products as reflections of an individual’s development, abilities, personality, interests, concerns and conflicts.
Art Therapy practice is based on knowledge of human developmental and psychological theories which are implemented in the full spectrum of models of assessment and treatment including educational, psychodynamic, cognitive, transpersonal and other therapeutic means of reconciling emotional conflicts, fostering self-awareness, developing social skills, managing behavior, solving problems, reducing anxiety, aiding reality orientation and increasing self-esteem, awareness, and achieve insight.
Art therapy requires no artistic ability and no prior art experience is required.
How does art therapy work?
- Stimulates imagination and creativity
- Develops healthy coping skills and focus
- Increases self-esteem and confidence
- Clarifies issues and concerns
- Increases communication skills
- Ability to share a safe nurturing environment
- Assists with the development of motor skills and physical coordination
- Ability to identify feelings and blocks to emotional expression and personal growth.
- Working with a therapist helps develop social skills.
- Art therapy provides an outlet for anger and frustration.
- Self-discovery: At its most successful, art therapy triggers an emotional catharsis.
Areas to look in to in an art therapy setting:
- Drawing development and its effects on human development
- How to facilitate communication using various art therapy approaches by understanding the value of non-verbal communication.
- Planning and implementing an art therapy session /exercises in an individual session and group setting.
- How creative arts can be implemented in a multidisciplinary setting
Arts for Healing—Leisure and Pleasure, where clients can come to get therapeutic services, information, resources, and much-needed relaxation. Our concept is Integrated Music and Art Therapy. Combining auditory and visual stimuli in an interactive, fun and nurturing environment, helps promote language and speech, motor skills, socialization and personal development in children and adults. Music and art make up the universal language that is understood by all.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What is Art Therapy?
Art Therapy is a combination of art and psychology, and is a healing process that uses images, art media and creativity. It can be a wonderful tool to reduce stress, anxiety and depression. Art also help provide a new language for the verbally challenged.
Should I know Art to join Art Therapy?
No. There is absolutely no prior art skills required. Art is only a means to express subconscious feelings which may be difficult to share. Images influence emotion, thoughts, and well-being and how the brain-body react to the experience of drawing, painting, or other art activities clarify why art therapy may be effective with a variety of populations.
How does art therapy works?
Stimulates imagination and creativity, Develops healthy coping skills and focus, Increases self esteem and confidence, Clarifies issues and concerns, Increases communication skills, Ability to share a safe nurturing environment, Assists with development of motor skills and physical co-ordination, Ability to identify feelings and blocks to emotional expression and personal growth.
The workshop will cover the following areas:
- Introduction to Art therapy
- Understanding the role of art therapy in Human life
- Personal feelings/experiences/expressions/awareness through this workshop
- Questions & Answers session
- Art Experience and Exploration (Hands-on session to understand and experience the effect of Art Therapy)
- Self-expression and experience by creating art to awaken self-awareness
- Implementing creative arts in a multidisciplinary setting
- Case study Experience
This will be an experiential workshop!
Participants will be engaged to draw, paint and sculpt a variety of art therapeutic exercises that help them to identify and express thoughts, feelings, conflicts, strengths and increase confidence, self-esteem and coping skills.
Upon successful completion of the workshop, each participant would receive:
- Certificate in Participation for Introduction to Art Therapy
- A Letter indicating your successful completion of both the workshop and the Australia Counselling Association (ACA)’s five (5) Ongoing Professional Development (OPD) hours.
ACCREDITATION AND RECOGNITION
We are pleased to announce that this course is recognised by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA) Ongoing Professional Development (OPD).